It's not considered work if you love what you do for a living, but could you actually make the something you love into a career? There are many career options out there, some you've thought of and some that are so bizarre they might not have crossed your mind. There's always a rising star popping up in the media, there's always a new best-selling author, there's even a guy who sells snow! The possibilities are endless as far as how you can make money and more importantly how you can turn your dream into a career. How exactly do you go about doing so? Use these tips to get started.
- Educate yourself. If you want to work in a particular field, you have to know it inside and out. Research what it takes to make it in your chosen profession, take necessary classes, or even find a mentor whose walked the same path and found success at the end of it. Educating yourself on everything involved in your dream will bring you closer to seeing it unfold before your eyes.
- Make goals. Once you're aware of how to go about obtaining a position in your career choice, you can begin planning the necessary steps that'll take you from where you are now to where you see yourself in the future. Setting goals not only pushes you through the journey, but allows you to see your accomplishments along the way.
- Work hard. As important as it is to set goals, there will be no progress if you don't reach them. Put forth your best effort in any free time you can manage so you can achieve each goal and move on to the next one.
- Don't make up excuses. Doubt will visit you without an invitation; it will lead you down a trail of thoughts which will have you questioning your worth, your talent, and your time spent. This is an inevitable factor. What is in your power is whether or not you let doubt consume you, and if you don't want your hard work to go to waste, don't allow it to stay. Maintain confidence, remain focused, and keep telling yourself you're almost there.
- Don't let failure stop you. Not everyone has an insane amount of luck to succeed on the first try. If you do, that's great, but for the rest of us who have to face rejection, we must understand that it's okay to fail. One or even multiple failures does not set you up for a lifetime of failing. You don't stay on the ground when you fall, you get back up, brush yourself off, and keep going. So don't give up; keep moving forward.
Valerie Leonard is an award-winning financial advisor and co-founder of Grinkmeyer Leonard Financial, a highly-regarded Birmingham-based financial advisory firm. Her mission is to help people be the best they can be and make the most of their financial resources by offering a better and easier way to manage their money and time. She specializes in offering financial advice, investment management, insurance, and more.
Want to schedule a complimentary call? Click the image below to view my calendar and schedule an appointment that is convenient for you!